Introduce the next assignment - a 30 sec movie 'the Chase'
This assignment is worth 20% of your final grade and is due at the end of week 11.
The Chase (TC) This assignment is split into two (2) parts. With both halves being of equal grade value. The final result will be a 30 second short digital film of a chase sequence.
Part 1: Using audio no longer than thirty (30) seconds long. Students will storyboard a chase sequnce using the simple primitive characters created in class. Use a plan view to map out your cameras and environment for the sequence based on the storyboards.
Part 2: Following the storyboards and the plan view, create an environment using only simple primitives (spheres, cubes, cylinders, cones and planes) No textures allowed, only basic lambert shaders on all objects. Once the environment is created, students will animate the two characters and their camera to create a 3d animatic of the chase sequence
Start by explaining what assets the students will be using, what they will do with them and what the point of the assignment is. Follow with any qualifiers like: what to avoid, where their focus should be, how long this will take them. Hand in for Part one will be the audio clip in .wav format, images of the storyboard, and a jpg of the plan view. 30 seconds long (720 frames) Featured principles: Anticipation, Staging, Slow In/Out, Timing, Exaggeration, Appeal
Part 1 Hand in will be as follows:
- <Lastname>_<Firstname>_TC_boards.jpg (use previously provided template)
- <Lastname>_<Firstname>_TC_plan.jpg (1280x720 image)
- <Lastname>_<Firstname>_TC.wav (compatable with maya
Part 2 Hand in will be as follows:
- 960x540 (HD540) resolution
- avi file with MSCRAM compression (or quicktime with H.264)
- no resolution gate, grid or animation controls visible
Items should be named: <Lastname>_<Firstname>_TC.avi
What I'll be grading on this assignment:
- Is there an appropriate audio file matching the required parameters for length?
- Do the storyvoards clearly identify the camera cuts and angles to be used?
- Does the plan view show the location and field of view of each camera needed?
- Does the 3d animatic capture the spirit of the audio and the planning?
- Are the characters and cameras moved following the principles of animation?
- Does the 3d animatic follow rules of effective filmmaking? (Axis line, composition, etc)
In class activity
Find audio (30 sec)
In the first part you are going to find a clip of audio or music no more than thirty (30) seconds long to set your sequence to. (you can trim the length with Audacity). You can record original foley fx or compose some music, however no dialogue is allowed. Please be mindful of fair use of intillectual property for educational purposes. Select or create something that is supportive of the emotional tone of the sequence
Students can do this in Audacity ( download here: https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html)
Find reference for inspiration:
(Mac and Cheeze, Meet Buck, Oktapodi, Burning Safari)
30 sec. sequence = how many shots?
Map environment and camera layout
the Plan view ie. (top view.)
Make and hand out characters - Red (pursuing) and Green (evading)
Simple poly proxy environment
for Next class: Revise progress on first pass of Part 1 and introduce Cameras and 3d layout.